Sunday, March 15, 2009

Mixed Bag

This weekend has been a total mixed bag.

I guess it started Thursday night when we had to take Miss Kitty to the vet. We were there for over three hours for what we had thought was a kitty cold. It wasn't. We brought her home knowing that she wasn't to be much longer in this world.

Friday night we had tickets for Cirque du Soleil's Saltimbanco. It's currently the talk of the town, and it really was amazing! We went with Doug and Michelle, as we had all fallen in love with the Cirque performances during their wedding trip in Vegas. While the staging at the Vegas shows was better, the performers themselves were still top notch in the travelling show. We had a fantastic time!

By Saturday morning, we knew Kitty was done fighting. We had to take her in and say our goodbyes. I know I give Clay's cats a lot of grief, but it was absolutely horrible saying goodbye to her. She was Clay's first pet ever, and she was the one who attached to me the most. She slept on me pretty much every night. We miss her greatly, as do the other two cats.

After leaving the vet, we HAD to stay busy and occupied so that we wouldn't drive ourselves insane after the hard morning. We decided to do some rug shopping, then went to the St. Patrick's Day parade. The parade was one of our very first dates three years ago, and we've made it every year since. This was our fourth and we really didn't want to miss it. It was a perfect distraction, and we had a really good time. We then met up with a big group of friends at Charlestown Pizza Company and had some great food and great conversation. From there, we went to one of Clay's friend's birthday celebrations. We hung out and watched the Cards get their big win! Woohoo!! Around 12:30am, we were finally exhausted enough to crawl back home and fall asleep without having had time to really think or be sad all day! Perfect!

Today was cleaning day! Now that all of the carpet is pulled, we had to do some cleaning/oiling/scrubbing on the hardwood. Clay worked on that, dishes, vacuuming, and bills while I tackled about five loads of laundry, stripped beds, cleaned the bathroom, mopped floors, etc. I finally threw in the towel (literally!) and said I had to get out of the house! We hit up an antique store, then went back to the rug shopping. We had already been to JCPenney and Ashley Furniture, so today we hit up Kohl's and Macy's before finally going where we should have gone first...TARGET! My favorite store! We were able to find a perfect rug that we both actually liked! This was obviously no small feat.

(The colors are actually more muted than this picture shows. What looks like black here is actually chocolate brown and what looks like brown here is actually kind of a mustardy color.)
Here's a pic from my phone, but it's kinda sad:


We are now home, still sad, but mostly just at peace that Kitty is not struggling or in any pain.
We loved you, Kitty. And you loved us. Thank you.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Granny said: Lori and Clay, I send my sympathy over the loss of a loved pet. I have never had one long enough to lose it but I saw Ricky and Sheila struggle through the trauma with Nikki their schnouser. It was very sad. I'm so glad you could get out with friends and have such a fun sounding distraction. I agree it was a mixed bag. Your new rug looks very different and I like the colorfulness of it. Enjoy, I know your house is looking very pretty. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing both the bad and the good times. Hugs

10:40 PM  
Blogger Mim said...

Oh NO! I'm truly sorry to hear about Miss Kitty. I'll bet the other 2 kitties are kind of lost without her. I'm glad you were able to salvage some of your weekend. And I LOVE your new rug! Is that going in the living room? You guys have really worked hard on the new floors and I can't wait to see them. But I'm even more anxious to see you and my Clay buddy. I MISS you guys!

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home