Sunday, March 08, 2009

Home Improvement!

So, I kind of teased y'all with that hint about an upcoming vacation. We were really seriously thinking about going to Ireland for a minute. But. We're growing up. We're pretending to be responsible. While Ireland is stoopid cheap right now, we decided our money would be better spent here, in our home. As with any homeowners (particularly those with vintage homes), we always have a running list of things to do. One of our big jobs that we've been looking into was our floors. After 10ish years with clumsy people and gross cats, our carpets were really starting to look rough. Clay had pulled up a corner at some point along the way and discovered that there might be some nice looking hardwood peeking out from under there. Once I got a glimpse of that corner, I HAD to see if these floors could be salvaged. We've really been putting the task off, though, because if the hardwood wasn't ok, we'd have to be prepared financially to put down new carpet. Well, instead of a big trip this year, we decided to take the plunge. OH. MY. GOODNESS. How happy am I that we did!?!?! Check these beauties out! Keep in mind, though, that this is just as we found them, and that we haven't even cleaned or polished them yet.


Ok, here's the living room and front door. There's a dark blotch there on the right. It's from my camera, and is NOT showing darkness on my hardwood.

Between the dining room and living room. Again, dark blotch is camera, not floor.

Hallway (how can I get this blotch off my camera lens??? I think it's inside!)

Dining room
More dining room

How exciting!!! And George, just so you know... I've really been working hard! There's something motivational about seeing your own house get improved! I have a track record of being really lazy (who, me?? HA!) , but even Clay said I've been working really hard! I've taken up all of the tack strip and probably half of the staples. I even helped carry carpet and padding to the curb for junk pickup!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mim said...

WOWZA! Good for you and Clay! The hardwood floors certainly change the whole look of your home. I love the border design around the dining room and your color block rug looks GREAT in there. I know you're so excited with your find! And I'm very proud of both of you for all the hard work you're doing instead of vacationing. Your labor is truly paying off! I can't wait to see your hardwood floors in person.
I MISS YOU!

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Granny says: Hey! This is great Lori. Your house is larger than I was expecting. Thanks so much for sharring with us. It is going to look great and "ALMOST gives me spring cleaning fever." It is just around the corner but I'm not ready. Just send pics of your great job and that will do me as it looks like a lot of work. I'm proud of both of you. I know a big trip was a real sacrifice but you can enjoy this all the time where a trip is just a short while with some memories. Keep up the good work. Hugs

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home