Sunday, May 18, 2008

Clay did his part!

We received our "economic stimulus" monies from the gub'mint this week, so Clay made haste to the bicycle store. Some of his friends have been touting the glories of biking, and Clay got the bug - bad. Saturday morning we had a nice brunch in historic downtown Jeffersonville, then went straightaway to the bike shop. He bought a very snazzy bike!



When I was home this weekend, I knew this purchase was coming, so I was talking to the Ma'am-George about my options. I hated to invest in a bike myself, particularly since I didn't really know if I would enjoy using it all that much. I had considered just buying a cheap bike, but I also knew that a cheap bike would pretty much ensure that I wouldn't enjoy riding, as they aren't known to be all that comfy. So, Mom was generous enough to loan me her own bike until I can make some choices about what I want.

With both of us fully biked (and helmet-ed!), we set off yesterday on a short adventure through Germantown (our lovely old neighborhood). It was a BLAST!!! It was so much fun that I really couldn't wait to go out again today. However, we had to make a run to Wal-Mart first to load up on such important accessories as chains, bike bags, speedometers, and water bottles.

Off we went today on yet another adventure! We stopped by a friend's house to join him for a ride (thanks, Chuck!), and the three of us set of through the Highlands to view a house for sale that Chuck wanted to peek into. Then we set off again and made it to the coffee shop, where we greatly enjoyed meeting up with more friends and drinking some ice cold tea. After a long respite with tea, we were starving, so we trekked on to meet up with yet more friends for some fabulous bison burgers. WHAT A FUN DAY!!! After dinner, the three of us schlepped out once more in search of home. Well, I was in search of home. I had forgotten just how uncomfortable a bike seat can be, and after two days of riding, I couldn't stand the pain any longer. So, I'm comfortably home now, and Clay is off riding with Chuck a while longer. I wish I could've hung, but in all honesty, I think I was just holding them back anyway.

All in all, a fabulous fun time, and I've certainly already gotten my money's worth out of my free loaner bike! I can't wait to ride again! (as soon as I stop hurting.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Mim said...

All right!! I'm very glad to hear that you're enjoying biking. It really can provide some fun times. But you're right ... it's very easy to get saddle sore until you get toughened up to it. You'll be ready to go again in a few days. Until then, sitting in a tub of warm water may help. LOL!
Have fun!!!!!1

11:04 PM  
Blogger Lori Shay said...

Remember those commercials where the little kid stuffs her pants full of Charmin, then goes back to playing? I might have to give it a try!

8:04 AM  
Blogger granny said...

Lori you have my sympathy with saddle sores. A sore of any kind is not pleasant in that particular area. At least you tried. I didn't ride my new bike far enough to get winded much less sores. Sure hope you are a fast healer.
Have fun!!!!!!

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home