Friday, April 25, 2008

Louisville: Small town or Big city?

Derby season is here!!! The city is buzzing with the excitement. News stories are covering the health of the horses. Hot air balloons are hovering over and around the city. You can head down to the chow wagon for live music and a killer corn dog. Thousands of people are pouring into the city.

And yet, in the midst of all of the madness, I had a moment. Last Saturday, I was home alone doing something mundane or nother, and I heard a siren go by. For a loooong time. Not just any siren. It was one of those special parade sirens that you only hear at parades. And then I heard another. And then many children's voices. I scurried to the door to peek out and see what kind of hubbub was going on in my quiet old neighborhood. What to my wondering eyes should appear, but hundreds of little league baseball players parading down my street!! Seriously. Apparently there is a BIG Germantown baseball league of some sort, and they always do a big kick off parade. The parade started with the littlest ones (probably 4-5 year olds) riding in beds of pickup trucks, and went on up to teenagers. I'm sad to say that there really weren't all that many people out, so the kids who threw candy, just ran back and picked it up to throw again. It was just a lovely little bit of Americana. I know it sounds really dumb, but it made me feel SO good to know that even though I'll be raising my kids in such a big city and in such a different environment than I grew up in, they'll still have some small town experiences. I have to admit my eyes actually did tear up a bit at it all.

This post was kind of silly, but I've just had it on my mind since it happened. Oh, and just as an aside, Clay said he was in that very parade when HE was a kid. And that was a LONG time ago!

3 Comments:

Blogger granny said...

Lori I feel like I have just had one of our heart to heart talks and it is a perfect ending to my long and bush day. I am so glad you feel the way you do and are willing to share it with us. I'm also glad to know my Louisville great grandkids are going to be raised in a rather sane environment. Tell Clay I am proud of him for parading for his ball team. Keep sharing with us it is never dumb to me. Hugs Granny

10:25 PM  
Blogger Mim said...

Awwww ... what fun. Isn't nostalgia a wonderful thing? But the nicest part was reading the comment about "my kids". Now THAT is something I'm really looking forward to! (Sorry Clay, but you KNOW I had to say that ...hehehehe)

1:56 PM  
Blogger granny said...

Lori! What an impressive blog. You place is looking so springy and nice. I am so impressed with you and Clay. When you finish you need to come do my yard. It looks like a wilderness and company is coming from Mich. and we don't have the get up and go to do anythng about it. Oh well they will have to come back another time when we get things done up. If you need any more Hosta get some here while you are home. I have it and Monkey Grass running out my ears. I believe my Gerbera Daisy has yours beat. It is pretty big and has 3 or 4 blooms on it. Keep us posted on the progress of the new plants and I thought your new Crocks and sox were very pretty too. Have a good weekend. Hugs Granny

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home