Sunday, February 27, 2011

Wardrobe

(Dress from a consignment sale- $6, with shirt)

I dress Lila funny. It's a fact. Knowing is half the battle, right?
(Coat a gift from college friend Amy, FREE!
matching polka dot cords, yard sale- $1)

Other parents at school laugh at me. It's ok! They at least do it to my face, and not behind my back.
(Dress, gift from Aunt B- FREE! to us
Shirt probably yard sale- $1ish
Tights- WalMart- $2
Shoes- borrowed- FREE!)
I know I've covered this before, but it's kind of become and obsession, so I need to discuss it further. Dressing kids cute does NOT have to be expensive. It doesn't even have to be hard, or time consuming. I love the thrill of the hunt. I go to yard sales, consignment sales, and thrift stores looking for treasures. I've learned the brands that are worth spending a bit more on, and the ones that aren't worth the trouble. I've learned what to look for in a Craigslist ad to see if it's worth my time.
(Outfit, yard sale- $4
Socks, Target- $1)
People look at me incredulously, and ask why I would put such things on my child for daycare. Kids get dirty at daycare!! But they dress their kids in Carter's clothes that cost 3-4 times what I pay for an outfit. If Lila ruins something at school, we just throw it away! Clothes are meant to be used! (But first we try a little Dreft stain spray, then some time bleaching out in the sun. Both work miracles!)
(Shirt, consignment clearance- $2
Skirt, consignment- $3
Tights, Payless- $3
Shoes, a splurge! $15, but a high end brand that would typically run $40)

So, make fun all you want, but you won't take my fun away! I'll dress Lila silly and Shabby Chic as long as I can. I know the day will come when she'll want to wear nothing but jeans or sweatsuits every day, but for as long as I can, I'll keep up the crazy outfits and "dressy" clothes for every day!

And, if there's anything I love more than bargain kids' clothes, it's taking pics of m'girl! She's getting harder and harder to take a decent picture of, but I persevere!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mim said...

This child ALWAYS looks adorable. And I know you're having so much fun dressing her up. I'm glad to see you enjoying her so much. It looks like she's going to enjoy Mommy's bling!

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home