Monday, February 01, 2010

Adjustments

It's a whole new week at the Cundiff household! Mommy is back to work!

Let's start with last week. Lila and I made the most of our last week at home together!! We were so busy having fun, we didn't even manage a blog post! Shame on us!

Monday was our trip to the doctor for Lila's 2 month well-check. I undressed Lila for her check-up, and found a rash on her whole chest and belly. What fun! Luckily, we were at the doctor and able to ask about it while we were there. The doctor felt like it was just a virus that was running it's course, and nothing to worry about. Whew... We had also noticed that Lila had what looked like a "fat lip", so I asked about that. It had been there for about a week, so I knew it was odd for a fat lip, but I assumed it was probably just where she nursed or something odd. Well, the doctor felt like it was probably ANOTHER hemangioma! I'm not at all concerned about the two hemangiomas Lila has on her side, but if one insider her upper lip continues to grow for a year, it could really cause problems!! So, the doctor went on and set up a visit to a plastic surgeon for us. We'll visit them in March. While we were there for her well-check, Lila also got shots. Yuck. They made her SO irritable. I could hardly even move her without her bursting out crying for the rest of the day. It made momma SO sad!! Lila measured at 11lbs 11oz, and 23 inches long. Go, baby, go!!

Anyway, why do I feel like this blog post is going to somehow turn into a novel?

After a rough couple of post-shot days, it was Friday, Lila's first official half-day at school. Since my boss (Hi Stacy!) is slated for ankle surgery on my first day back to work, we needed a few hours to review everything at the center and bring me up to speed before she takes off for the next 4-6 weeks. (Surgery went well. Stacy is now home recovering with happy pills.) So I dropped Lila off, took lots of first day pictures on my camera, then forgot and left the camera at work. Oh well, it'll give you something to look forward to. Miss Lila promptly initiated her teachers with leaky diapers, outfit changes, and general baby fun. Way to go, LJ!! In four hours, she went through two bottles and three diapers, and two outfits. Impressive, my child.

Anyway, we really enjoyed our weekend, mostly because it involved a LOT of pizza. Somehow we accidentally managed to eat pizza Friday night, Saturday night, and Sunday night! Wow.... that's impressive, even for us.

Meanwhile, Lila started getting her notorious diaper rash back. I'm SO OVER diaper rash. It's so unfair for her wee little bum to have been through so much trauma already! I'm trying to figure out what's triggering it, but I really can't. I'm sure it's probably something I'm eating. Most likely one of my very favorite foods that I'm going to have to start doing without. Who knows. It's exhausting.

So I think that brings us up to today. Our first REAL day of school. Since Stacy is out, I'm going to be working 8-5:30 for the next several weeks. Let's talk about how early 6:15 came this morning! I was able to get up and get me ready for work, then pump, then get Lila up and ready. Unfortunately, this left no time to actually feed Lila, so I had to take her to work hungry. I HATE being that parent that drops her kid off and says, "Here ya go, have a hungry cranky child, I'm OUTTA HERE!" They were nice about it, but I still hated to do it. Anyway, by mid-morning, they brought Lila to see me in the office. I was all excited to see her for a minute until Mrs. Barbara dropped the bomb. Remember waaaaay back in that first paragraph or two of this novel where Lila had a rash at the dr. office? It's back. Daycare policy states that children can not stay at the center with unexplained rashes, so she gets the boot. All of those many many times I've called parents and made them come pick up their children for dumb rashes came crashing in on me in a moment of wretched karma kick-back. I called the pediatrician and worked Lila in for an appointment just to learn exactly what I'd already been told. $20 co-pay and an hour off work to be told it's a viral rash that will go away in time. Brilliant. But, on the upside, it did give me a few minutes to snuggle my baby!

We headed back to work where I continued to juggle pumping, a mountain of mail and to-dos, and a staffing shortage. Good times. Needless to say, I'm exhausted. Bed soon.

A few parting notes:
- Lila has taken to sucking her fists. It's adorable and funny. She really looks like she's trying to suck her thumb, but she keeps the thumb tucked inside her fat little fists so that she can't find it. Poor Lila.
- Sleep is still kind of a crap shoot. Some nights she goes all night. Some, not so much. Still, though, at 2 months old, I can handle one time a night getting up with her, especially since she goes right back down after I feed her.
- We have established a bedtime routine. Bath, Books, Bottle or Breast, BED. It starts at 8:00, and goes until one of us is too exhausted to continue. Which is usually me. At about 8:30. We're hoping this will help the sleep issue.

Good night!

3 Comments:

Blogger Mim said...

Oh wow cupcake ... I knew going back to work would be a huge adjustment, but I had no idea your first day back could be such a bomb for you. I hope tomorrow will be much smoother for you and for LJ. Clay, did you survive tonight? I'll bet you really got dumped on when you got home! LOL! Sorry I wasn't there to lend a hand.

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lori I thought about you today and was going to call you to see how your day went but glad I didn't. I think you had your hands full and to pooped to talk on the phone. I'm so sorry your day went so bad for you and Lila Jane too. What will you do with her if she can't go to Day Care? Wish we were close enough to help you out. If you need us let us know and we will try to come keep her some for you. Kiss her and have a better day tomorrow. Love to all Granny

1:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lori! Sorry about the news about LJ lip. I sure hope it takes care of itself without any surgery. It sounds like you had a rough day and hopefully today is going all better with the adjustment. Knowing you, you will make the adjustment good and I know LJ will have her sitter doing things the way she wants it done. Go Girl! Love yall and have a great day.

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home